Changing the float mechanism in an Inax toilet

Today I changed the float and water supply mechanism in the toilet. Here is the new mechanism ready to be installed.

DSC_6731

There are a lot of different options on this mechanism, so before starting I crossed out all the unapplicable options on the instructions.

DSC_6732

This toilet's hand washing outlet has a screw fitting which was connected by a piece of rubber.

DSC_6733

I keep these old computer packings for when I need to do work on the toilet.

DSC_6734

The water supply pipe is a benrii-kan (bendy pipe?). It's disconnected with an adjustable spanner.

DSC_6735

The float mechanism now has to be removed. It wasn't on very tightly.

DSC_6736

This is the old rubber seal.

DSC_6737

It left this mark behind.

DSC_6738

I used this 250 yen box from Homac to put the mechanism into.

DSC_6739

The new mechanism in place, with the nut finger-tightened.

DSC_6740

I had applied this fix because the old mechanism was broken.

DSC_6741

This rubber tube is not really relevant to my make of toilet, but it has to be cut to length and fastened to the overflow pipe.

DSC_6742

I decided to try connecting the water supply next.

DSC_6743

This nodule on the strainer packing bothered me a bit.

DSC_6744

At first I didn't tape it, and it leaked.

DSC_6745

This dial turns around, and my toilet's setting is "zero".

DSC_6746

The instructions say to put this tube into the overflow pipe, without any looseness, then cut it so that there is 20 mm in the pipe.

DSC_6747

The mark nearer my finger is about 20 mm.

DSC_6748

I snipped it

DSC_6749

and clipped it to the outside of the overflow pipe per the instructions.

DSC_6750

The handwasher can be connected just by pushing the rubber joint over the screw.

DSC_6751

I added a "WL" mark where the one on the old pipe was using a Magic Ink pen.

DSC_6753

I had to redo this joint with plumbing tape. This fixed the leak.

DSC_6754

Getting the correct height of water involved adjusting the height of the float using a screw fitting on its top. Here I have finally got it about right.

DSC_6755

The toilet is now functioning OK.

DSC_6756
Copyright © Ben Bullock 2009-2019. All rights reserved. For comments, questions, and corrections, please email Ben Bullock (benkasminbullock@gmail.com) or use the discussion group at Google Groups. / Privacy / Disclaimer